Accommodation in Scotland: Where to Live

From the hustle and bustle of Scotland’s vibrant cities to the quieter rural areas a bit further out, there are many wonderful places for you to live with accommodation types to suit all. 

Great transport links on the outskirts of most main towns and cities make it easy to commute to wherever you want to be. 

Here’s a taste of what to expect when you choose to live in Scotland:

Scottish Cities

From old tenement buildings with original ornate features to new modern luxury apartments, it’s great to have a base in the middle of one of our exciting cities. Discover Scotland’s cities and regions. 

Rural Life

The further away you go from the centre of town, the bigger the housing gets and you will find old and new houses and bungalows in most suburban areas. 


If you don’t want to buy a property straight away, renting in Scotland is straightforward and cost effective. Scotland offers excellent tenancy rights to make sure you are safe and the property is looked after. 

You can rent a property through a housing association, a private landlord or a letting agency and there are usually lots of flat shares available in Scotland’s major cities, where you can rent a room. 

Buying a Property in Scotland

Scotland’s properties are as diverse as its scenery. City flats, family homes, cottages in the country and more. In recent times, house prices have dropped in Scotland, making it a buyers’ market. 
While most properties are sold through estate agents or solicitors (lawyers), you can also buy privately from the owner – though you will still need a solicitor to do the legal work.

House prices in Scotland vary according to which city or town you live in, and in what area. Property prices are £200,000 on average, compared to the UK average of £274,000.

Student Accommodation

Campus accommodation is usually located in the university halls of residence – where students live during term-time. Halls of residence are usually made up of a block of self-catering flats with a number of en-suite bedrooms in each. With most campus accommodation, there’s usually a choice of B和B, half-board or self-catering accommodation available. You can, of course, live off-campus if you are looking for more independence. Your university of choice will be able to offer advice.

Council Tax

When you rent or buy a property in Scotland you must legally pay Council Tax. It pays for public services like maintaining the roads, collecting household waste and water charges. The cost varies and is based on the value of the property you rent or buy. Students on full time courses of study are exempt from paying council tax.